Thursday, November 11, 2010

More about Nothing

There is no real way to sum up my amazing weekend in Ann Arbor. I mean honestly I did everything I could have possibly wanted to, saw almost everyone and drank my senses away. As great as my weekend was there, I must admit I am not really in a hurry to return. Don't get me wrong, Hotel Arch is a home away from home, but outside of the confines of the hotel and my presidential suite in the basement, Ann Arbor, or rather the University Lifestyle, has lost a bit of it's luster. I understand that with each new class there are new people, new ideas, and new ways of experiencing college, I'm just saying that from my senior year in high school to my fifth year on campus, times were just unbelievable. The types of characters that I interacted with, just priceless. Neway, all I'm saying is that clearly that point of my life has come and gone and there is no longer a need or a real desire to try and relive that, I mean at this point it's impossible to try and replicate the people, places, and experiences I had so its about time to move on and start new ones.

Hotel Arch, I will definitely be back to visit you guys and see you off on your senior years on campus, but for the most part I will continue to try and build post-college relationships with my 1502 family, both summer and school time.

Well now that I got that out of the way, I'd like to address a fair well letter to my good friend Richard, who I will miss dearly.

Dear Richard,
I have without a doubt shared the best years of my life, thus far, with you and due to you. You took me in with open arms when I was a meager 18 year old child, and you watched me grow into a 23 year old, what I would like to think, adult. To say that my experience in college would have been just as great without you would be a blatant lie, after all, many, and I mean many of my exploits with people happened thanks to you. I mean seriously, where else can I go up to the bar, meet a girl, have her buy me a drink, and then have her take me out to the dance floor to say "hello" amongst many other things. I know that no other place will quite give me to joy or opportunities that you brought, and for that I will be forever grateful. Here's to bad DJ's, playing music on ipods, quarters, sharkbowl races, making our own drinks, identity theft, playing tag, being the only people in the bar, spending too much money and spending no money at all, seeing you almost 7 straight days, and of course here's to "hello the 1502 way."

Despite all of our crazy times together, the real reason I'm writing is to say goodbye. I know its sad, but like I said what we have is an unforgettable Past, not a present. It's about time that I moved on to Different things, while I was a wild and crazy kid back then, I am now a bit more reserved (though not much) and have to approach life a little differently. The days of random drinks and dancing may be coming to an end, but they will live on forever in my memory. I know what you're saying, "it'll never be the same without you and 1502" while I may agree, Richard you need to remember that every year you get an influx of all new children to play with. It seems you are attracting younger people these days and that's not necessarily a bad thing. These new classes with learn to love you all over again like we did, so you'll always be special to someone. Also, you know that anytime we come back to Ann Arbor we will always stop by to see you, Ann Arbor wouldn't be the same without you and we know that.

So for now Richard, this is farewell, this is not goodbye but see you later, it may be awhile but I will see you again. Take care of this new class the ones still to come just like you took care of the ones of the past. Every time I hear someone say your name, or read a post about you somewhere I will smile as I'm sure we all will do. Thank you again for everything.

Yours forever,

Stev

3 comments:

  1. Stev I could not agree with your analysis more. Even though I'm still here as an undergrad I appreciate what came before me. I recognize the greatness that was and how it has dissolved.
    Your acceptance of moving on is a tribute to your maturity. Nothing can replace your years as a Michigan student, and certainly not your membership in 1502, but I am certain you will discover one very true fact: The best is yet to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Richard,

    You...Bastard

    -Chin

    We did have some great times there. It's kind of like Toy Story for adults, he gets new people to play with him but will still remember each person that has visited in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...Chin good analysis. Stev, good post. I was almost confused on who Richard was...until you commented on saying hello the 1502 way...then I knew. And come back and visit...we don't have to go to Ricks next time. Although we probably will...lets be serious.

    ReplyDelete