Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Family Affair...Part I

Most of you should know that I did not drink in high school. My first beverage was a PBR given to me by Adam Kiesler and Porter in their apartment where the whole upper class of the team watched me attempt to enjoy it. At the time i figured I would never drink again because well it tasted disgusting. 6+ years later i find myself enjoying all kinds of beers, as can be seen last night in my beer sampler at a local Winston Salem brewery and at the sampler frat houses gave us (more on that later). The reason I say this is because due to my lack of High School drinking I don't really approve of my siblings drinking either, or rather I just dont like it. While Cassie and Jane are close enough to age to enjoy drinks together, I just cant bring myself to drink with my sis, who's four years younger than me, or at least I couldn't really before. So my whole family came to Wake Forest to watch my sis run, the first time I've seen her run since before high school. She was pretty disappointed with her first day showing but after awhile we were able to cheer her up and go on with the day. If you guys have ever been to a smaller private college, that's what Wake's campus is like. It's pretty much a square of buildings and then various "downtown" festivities like restaurants and bars and such, but downtown is very far away and you could never walk there. It is a USC boxed in kind of feel to it. Anyway we all went to this brewery for dinner which had surprisingly great food and even better beer. For those of you who have never been to one, they are usually filled with local microbrews of all sorts and usually have a sampler of about 7 of them you can try. This place gave them to me in a 6oz glass, and the alcohol contents ranged from 3.75 to 9.5...needless to say that combined with the 3 beers I had before dinner left me feeling pretty good going into the night. At this point I figured my sister wouldn't be drinking because she has to race today, but that didn't stop her from taking us out and showing us a good time. Apparently at this school they accept that their students will drink, and thus they want them to drink on their campus rather than have to find a way downtown or off campus. As a result, they supply alcohol to frats on campus and parties are never broken up. Most of them happen to be in downstairs lounges but we went to at least 4 of them last night and they were all pretty legit. UM favorite PIKE was one of them and I guess even here at Wake Forest those guys know how to throw a good get together. Each Frat had a bar area you could go to to either get some sort of jungle juice or any variety of beers, including milwaukee's best( ugh, terrible), natty light, coors light, bud light, and ice's of each of those. All together a very well organized affair...The only downside I could think of is the fact that the average age of frat parties is always pretty low. I mean i'm 24 now so the thought of partying with 17-19 year old girls really has very little appeal to me...I wish I could say the same for Stann but yeah it's Stann ha. One random highlight of the night was when we decided to go to the "blarty" or "black party"...yes this was a party that seemingly EVERY black person on campus went to. Throughout the night it became obvious that we were the only black people at each of these frat parties, even more evident because we were rolling 5 deep. 4 siblings plus my lil bro's friend Devon. We were almost always gathered in a group so we kind of stood out and eventually at one party we were known as the Baltimore Boys. I thought it was kind of catchy....But this black party put us to shame. It was exactly like you would imagine a stereotypical black frat would be...minus lighhting. They tried to charge you at the door, there were a sprinkle of white girls who just really liked black guys, almost everyone played a sport (like 98% of black people at Wake are here because they play a sport) and the dancing was not PG-13...or even rated R. So we walk into this place and I kid you not its pitch black. The only light came in from the bathroom when girls would enter and exit, and when they did you always noticed them dancing in the bathroom like it was an extension of the dance floor, just crazy. I wish I could tell you I had a great experience dancing with some black girl, but in reality half the time you didn't know if it was a guy or girl you were rubbing up against, because it was PITCH BLACK....Black people hanging out in the darkness...pretty bad combination ha...At one point the lights came on (by mistake definately) and  let me just say that if I thought Michigan was full of unattractive girls I had no idea what they really meant...These faces, it was like seeing a monster for the first time. Yes not all of them were ugly but SO many of them were...it was like stepping into the light made them melt and they all scrambled for the light switch to turn it off in hopes that no one noticed what they really looked like...needless to say we left soon there after.

Another thing I noticed last night is that Stann isn't really much of a wingman. I can wingman him pretty easily, but its a one way ticket. Also, he like assumes any girl I'm talking to its a good idea for him to slide in the convo and try to work on her friend. It was pretty funny at times he would appear out of no where, mutter some incoherent phrase, get a dirty look from a girl (he was pretty drunk) and then disappear just as quickly. Classic Stann ha. But like i said the age of the girls was below my comfort level and I found myself and my little bro noticing the same girls...Def weird ha. i mean he's 18 and if he thinks a girl's cute she's probably around that age too. So there was an instance where this really cute girl sporting a backward Pirates hat came over to the beerpong table (where Stann and I went undefeated). After awhile we talked and she told her friends to leave her with me. At this point I'm thinking, ok, who leaves their friends unless they're down, solid. BUT since Stann and I kept playing, I could see i was losing her attention, in comes Stevie and Devon to save the day and pick her up. Moral of the story Devon ended up getting her phone number and they're supposed to hang out today ha. I should also mention they both pretended to be Freshies in college rather than seniors in high school, a moved well played. I never thought I would get cock blocked by the game i love, but anything that takes your attention away from a girl is sure to cock block you.

Another highlight of the night, before the blarty we left Stann at this one frat house dancing with a "Stann type" girl...if you don't know what that is then unfortunately you've never gotten to experience the type of girls he goes for when we go out. So we literally left him there dancing with this chick, and he didn't notice our absence until we were already almost back at the house we left him at. The blarty was like a 20min walk both ways, plus we stayed there for like 30 mins ha. Unfortuantely when we returned Stann wasn't doing work on a girl who was 100% dtf...no big surprise there tho since Stann is a notoriously bad closer.

That about wraps it up for part I, part II continues today with the big event being a track party. I'm sure it won't be like the ones we used to host at UM, but I am curious to see how these kids throw down. Look for a sunday night, monday morning post. Hope you all are having equally entertaining weekends!


oh and GO BLUE...doing work in the ncaa tourney.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, hilarious post. Just 4 Waithes, tearing up the Wake Forest campus. I'm glad you're drinking this weekend because I remember you said you might not until A2, I was going to call you last night to see if it was ok for me to drink, I didn't want to do it if you weren't.

    Waithe hands...

    ReplyDelete