Saturday, December 11, 2010

Box Out

So our basketball season has finally kicked off, and much like the seasons in the past, we start 0-2....Why then am I not sunken into a depression and staying in bed all weekend, well firstly because it's different as a coach, I mean I don't really feel like I personally lost the game. 2ndly, because of our situation. I mean yes the boys are playing at a very low level right now, but since it's a new system, all new coaches, and a new mentality, we expect the kids to get off to a slow start. Every game (2 a week) we see more improvement and learning on their side so after a week or so I think we'll start to hit our stride....Being a coach is kinda like being a manager, I mean you go through all the practices, do a lot of the hard work thinking of practice plans and activities, but at the end of the day, you have to sit on the sideline and count on the team to execute. Hopefully these guys will get their act together, but I have to admit, at the moment we are Mentally Weak.

On that same token, its not just the guys are weak as basketball players, most have a good amount of talent and all, its that they are weak as individuals. They have garnered this losing mentality for so long that they just fall back into at the first sign of any trouble. Being a substitute has really opened my eyes to the world of adolescence.  Back in my day, we were good kids in High School. I mean yes HS is a joke, but at least we went to class, did our work, and were respectful to our teachers. The kids today in my HS do none of the above. Its a very grotesque picture and image of what it used to be like in my HS and it really makes me sick. I don't know where this new generation started to go wrong, but it is very very bad. I spent an hour in the teachers lounge on Wednesday and hearing stories from the teachers just blew me away. When I was a kid I used to think maybe these teachers are just bad people, you know giving homework and stuff that was pointless, but at the end of the day I did it. Now that I'm learning how to be an adult I realize that all these teachers are trying to do is help the kids, and what do they get in return for their hard work, insubordination. Needless to say, those kids who are my responsibility, the ones on the basketball team, have a very hard lesson to learn about respect and how to act, and I will make it my number one priority to teach them. If they happen to not want to listen or learn, then they will by all means by the most in shape group of disrespectful kids out there.

On a side note, we played Patapsco high school last night. Just so you understand that this new generation lapse in discipline is wide spread...their coach actually let a guy START with an ANKLE BRACELET on. NO not the type you buy at Forever 21 or Limited Too...the type that is issued by the Police Department. yup apparently he is involved with some drugs or something, but the moral of the story is this coach not only let the kid stay on his team, he had the nerve to put him in the starting line up....What kind of life lesson are you teaching. "Oh hey kids, its ok to beat some kids up and deal drugs over the weekend, I'll just let you start on monday." This coach got a piece of our mind at the end of the game I only hope that he gets his act together.

For kids to learn how to do right it starts in the Home. When the parents are negligent for whatever reason, its up to Coaches, Teachers, and other Adults in their life to do our best to keep them on the right path. I only hope that we as educated people, understand our responsibilities to the future generation because when its time for me to bring my kids into the world, I expect that their coaches, and teachers, KNOW Better.


Big ups to the UM Soccer Team for blowing a 1 goal lead and giving up 2 straight to almost make it to the college cup finals...Maybe they should watch a video on Akron rather than making Youtube Videos in their spare time....But I can't completely hate on the team that woke me up at all hours freshman year to fight my roommate; As a Michigan man I have to say Go Blue and congrats on even getting to the semi-finals in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. "I don't know where this new generation started to go wrong"...I couldn't agree more. Some of it is just ridiculous. Look at the role models these kids have in pop culture. Ideal example I can think of is that Nancy Drew show that was on TV that one time. That one girl goes, "I didn't know this was a party for retards"...This was a kids show, just ridiculous. I mean, the parents could be to blame, but I think its hard to shelter a kid from something like Nancy Drew.

    ReplyDelete