Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blue Chips

I woke up today with 45 next to me, last night still on me, and to a basketball coaching movie called "Blue Chips" on the tv. Ha Pretty much a good morning. I have to admit, its still funny to think about me coaching basketball, and even funnier for people around me who know that I have almost no basketball experience and I really can't play to save my life. Yet knowing all this, I must say I have been very well received by the kids. So i started the preseason workouts, which at this point consist of a 1.5mile warm up run, various track workouts, various core workouts, various plyo workouts, and a game or two of 16point pick up at the end just for fun.

I thought it would be hard to get used to being called coach, but really its kinda nice. It brings with it a level of respect, people tend to listen to what you have to say and they tend to believe you when you tell them that things  they are doing are for the best. I've had about 8 kids each day so far, which to me is a good turn out considering that the AD has done a poor job of getting my morning announcements in, that and the fact that no one really listens to the announcements anyway.

Facebook was great today, I come home to a bunch of notifications, all of which entail people's surprises about me coaching basketball ha, but like I said there, and like my highschool coach recently e-mailed me, I have an uncanny ability to rally people, and I know that with me and Coach Abel (The Head Coach) we are going to change my HS's program for the better. I may not have the credentials of Cassie yet, but soon enough I'll be just as good a coach as she is, and in a sport that I have almost no background in.

I should probably start ending these posts with Go Raiders( my high school mascot)!....but no not really, not until the season starts at least.

1 comment:

  1. Yeaa...I want to hear more about the part with 45 waking up next to you...elaborate

    To this day, I do not understand why your parents are cool with you having girls over, overnight....

    I feel like you are just cut out to be called
    "Coach", I know that you get a unique satisfaction out of that, it's inexplicable, but I know you enjoy it.

    Go Raiders!

    ReplyDelete