Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Full Monty!

Hello world,

As you may have noticed, I really had nothing of note to talk about yesterday, thus there was no post. Today isn't much different but I was inspired to write another blurb about something on my mind, but before that here's a little update.

Chin is at his interview right now, and so far today I have, worked out, eaten a PB & J sandwich, lost some money in online poker and now im blogging. Exactly, very exciting. It's thursday night which as Cassie's points out in her blog used to mean something, unfortunately we are all at a point in our lives where its just another night and tomorrow is just another morning.

Now for today's topic Lasting Impressions


When I was a little boy, in my phase of not talking much, always observing, and being a book addict, I made a promise with myself that no matter what, I wanted to make a positive impact on the lives of people I met. At a very basic level I wanted people to have a positive memory of me, so if they ever thought about me or remembered me, it would make them happy, or at least smile. Now despite the reputation that I mentioned in my earlier posts, I would like to think that most of the people I've encountered in my life would fit in this category, I mean with the exception of one guy, I can only think of a handful of girls who actually still dislike me, and they each have their reasons, most of them are accurate. But in any case I'm not really going to talk about me today but lasting impressions in general.

Lets say for example, the reason I thought of this was because of our old 1502 landlord. Now when we initially moved into our old house things were great, cheap rent, good sized rooms, great roommates, and football season parking, what more could you ask for. Our landlord would tailgate on the front lawn and him and his friends seemed like good people. The only issue here is that when I think of my landlord low, I have a bad lasting impression of him. These last few weeks of moving out and trying to figure out the security deposit situation have just been hectic. Emails going back and forth between house mates and landlords, days of no communication, hours of miscommunication, all these things combined with the random lack of activity in general from him during the year have formed a negative lasting impression. I guess the term "last" in lasting really hits the spot, its what you do in the final days of your interactions with people that they tend to remember the most, you can have a 5 year friendship with someone, but in the last month be a complete butthole and leave that person with a negative impression of you. Alas this is what our landlord did, he was never around for household problems, like he old contacted us for rent and it took him a year and 3/4 before he apparently knew anyone's name besides Wheelers. So unfortunately for him I think of him as a great guy, terrible landlord.

Another reason I started thinking about this topic was because I am soon to be going back to Maryland for at least the next year, and most likely my days in Ann Arbor are over. I wonder what kind of legacy I've left behind. Not to make myself sound important or anything but I have interacted and talked to a lot of people while I was at school, I had a lot of jobs and did a good amount of traveling and activities. I wonder what kind of impressions I left on all those people. I wonder if people will ever sit around and say "man I wish Stev were here" or "If Stev were here this would or wouldn't have happened." As much as I say I don't "know" how to miss people, I think i still like to be missed, I mean who doesn't really. I suppose its an innate human emotion, the desire to be longed for, or simply, the desire to be desired. I suppose this section is more of a rhetorical question than a statement, I guess it's just me sharing my thoughts with you, the world, or at the least, the 5 or 6 people who will end up reading this post ha.

Taking a step away from thinking about myself, I would like to say that UM and my time there has left a very positive lasting impression on me. I have made what I like to believe are lifetime friends, I gained knowledge of myself that I don't think I could have acquired anywhere else. I pushed myself physically and emotionally, and hopefully one day soon that will allow me to push myself in the academic setting. I laughed, cried, sang, danced, dreamed, believed, failed and succeeded, everything you could hope for in a school. And maybe, just maybe, I learned how to feel a little bit more, I learned how to yearn for the company of others, I mean i legit miss my mates at 1502, life without them just doesn't really seem like life anymore. But I know that I will start a new life, a book if you will, but I will continue to borrow quotes, anecdotes, and wisdom from my previous novel, the life and times of Stevann at UM and 1502.


Have a great day everyone.

2 comments:

  1. First off, I'm going to miss 1502 soo much, and even the good parts of 407...man, I'm really going to miss them. I remember the first few days in 407, Cassie came over and I tackled her with a hug into the Lay-Z-Boy that we had...until about 3 weeks ago. Soooo many memories, great times man...

    Second off, lasting impressions? Stev, we're on our last week or so together here in Wheaton, let's make great lasting impressions of each other in these final days. Dave shows are going to be a great way to start all that off, but I want to keep it going afterwards...indeed, the best is yet to come my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you guys : ( and 1502...I want our gross dirty house back!

    I still have the keg in my car if you guys wanna come back this weekend : ) we can fill it up with a grown-up beer.

    ReplyDelete