Friday, September 24, 2010

Midwestern Girl

It is a sad day indeed. This marks my last post from the midwest, and my last day in Wheaton with Chin....Even though we have been relatively chill by our 1502 standards, it's been an amazing trip with many good memories and lasting impressions ha. I will look back on these 3 weeks as a good way to end my time at UM and the midwest well. On that same note, today's post is my little goodbye to the Midwestern girl, without who, my time at Michigan and the midwest in general would not have been the same.


To my Midwestern Girl,
Fall
You bring with you that summer flair, that happiness those smiles, the wind blowing your hair. To the Saturday mornings and afternoons alike, where we drink excessive amounts and you fall off your bike. Where its ok to be sloppy before 12pm, and you usually find yourself passed out in a house with all kinds of strange men. You beer bong like no other, and even master the keg stand, we hang out for a week and you have no problem holding my hand. My midwestern girl. You are friendly to everyone, not just to me. But thats what I enjoy is your lifestyle, your ambition to be free. You do as you please and now is the time, its cool, for before long  you'll disappear, lost in school.
Winter
It seems you went into hibernation with all the bears, I can't find you behind the snowfall or the chilly winter air. All I can see is the body length north face, topped off with the Ugg boots, and I wonder what happened to your highlights, I can see the true color of your roots.  Your wrap yourself in an elaborate scarf covering your face and your neck, with fancy wool gloves to finish the look. All the smiles have faded and the cheering has been whisked away. The diag is empty, a wasteland and in the odd chance you do pass me by, you have no words to say. Maybe its the exams that have you all huddled inside, or our football team falling apart that makes you want to hide. I might find you at a bar on a saturday night, but by then you're with a few choice girlfriends, who are just having a "ladies night." Oh midwestern girl. Where did you run off to, my nights are lonely and days long, without the sight of you.
Spring
Just like the flowers and and bright sun, you apring into view. Like the snow and ice, your absence was just passing through. On the first nice day out you and your girls are back just like that, wearing your face sunglasses leggings or jeggings, and a tank top to match. Its spring term so classes really aren't all that bad, and you make sure we all know what is fashion's latest fad. You have that annoying giant bag, that you try to call a purse, when you turn and swing you knock things over, and under their breath people curse. But i can ignore all that glamor for you are back in my life, you even play sports, frisbee, beach volleyball the like. You lay out and read books, half naked without a care, you let all the boys run by, almost hoping they'll stare. You know you look good, you just came from the gym, where you listened to your ipod, on the elliptical machine. But again, all this is more good than it is bad, because we go out all the time and make new friends.
Summer
Here we are, our favorite time of the year. No homework no responsibilities, just good times far and near. All year I've waiting, and we've done the friend dance, now you finally let down your guard and are willing to give me that chance. We hang out all the time, no need to slow it down, we're having so much fun, and thats all the matters in the end. We go out on your boat, and just sit in the lake. We play on the sand bar, drinking the daylight away. We go floating down the river, in all kinds of funny tubes, but we always bring our cooler, full of our favorite booze. For me, its all about the bud, heavy, wheat or just plain light, and you love yourself some vodka, cranberry, tonic, water, redbull, or just anything Burnett's. We drink and are merry, and the weeks they fly by, until the summer ends, and a cool breeze fills the sky. We say we'll hang out, when school starts back up, but we both know thats a probably a lie. With the hustle of football season, i'll find another girl, and you another guy. But we don't let this impending transfer tarnish our last moments together. We sit and watch the stars at night, enjoying the end of the summer weather.


Be as bad or corny as it was, there were many good memories mixed into that mess that I wrote above, and honestly I wouldn't have wanted my time in Michigan to be any different. I believe that who we are is defined in part by our actions and experiences, and I am forever a Wolverine. I've spent so much of my young adult life in the Midwest that I almost feel at home here, but sadly my road has come to, not an end, but a turning point. This next year will be crazy, unpredictable im sure, but no matter what I know that whatever I do, wherever I am, whoever I meet, I will forever Go Blue.

1 comment:

  1. Was the falling off the bike thing a shout out to Jane? That happened in the Summer.

    And from the midwest...farewell.

    Lets do sake bombs when you are next in Ann Arbor.

    ReplyDelete